The culmination of our annual program is what we call Distribution Week which is December 7-12, 2014. That is the week when donors deliver nearly 5,000 bags, boxes and bikes to the Elks Lodge at 380 Social Street in Woonsocket, RI. Those same bikes, bags and boxes of gifts will then be given to the families.
It takes an army to accomplish it all in one week. We are in need of volunteers. During the week of December 7-12 our operation runs from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Here are a few of the jobs we need help with:
- Moving gifts from donors' cars into the warehouse as they arrive
- Logging and tagging bags, boxes and bicycles
- Sorting and storing gifts in warehouse
- Logging gifts out as they leave the warehouse
- Verifying recipients' identification as they arrive to pick up their children's gifts
- Bringing bags to recipients' cars
- Wrapping gifts as needed
- Calling families to let them know their gifts are available for pick up
- Assisting our "Kitchen Elves" who feed our volunteers
Over the course of the week we need 150-180 volunteers. We have jobs that require a certain amount of physical ability but we also have several jobs for volunteers who need to sit.
We especially need Spanish speakers to help us on the telephones and at the door.
We have volunteers who come for an hour, four hours, a full day and several who work for the total week. If you have some time during the week of December 7-12 and would like to help, please call our Volunteer Coordinator Brenda at 401-658-2019 ASAP.